Built for Prague's Reform community (1868), along decorative Moorish lines. Venue of the Czech 'Out of the Shadows' Festival opening.
|Address||Vězeňská 1, Staré Město, Prague, 11000|
The Spanish Synagogue is the most recent in the Prague Jewish Town.
It was built in 1868 for the local Reform congregation on the site of the 12th-century Altschul, which was the oldest synagogue in the Prague ghetto.
It was called the Spanish Synagogue for its impressive Moorish interior design, influenced by the famous Alhambra. The building was designed by Josef Niklas and Jan Bělský, the remarkable interior (from 1882–83) by Antonín Baum and Bedřich Münzberger.
František Škroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, served as organist here in 1836-45.